Sunday, February 15, 2009

Congrats New Teen Parents

A firestorm has ripped through the United Kingdom recently, with the much-publicized birth of Maisie Roxanne, a 7lb 3oz baby girl born to teens Alfie Patten and Chantelle Steadman. What's making this case so special is the fact that the father, Alfie, is 13 years old. Beyond all the criticism and controversy (as typically irrational adults run about trying to find someone or something to blame for this supposedly "horrible" tragedy), what we have here is new life, a new family, and it ought to be celebrated--not stigmatized.

Luckily, The Sun--those who broke the story, wrote a very touching article that paid each party in this whole event the respect they all deserve as they struggle through this time, and took some very touching photos of the new family. These two youths, and their families have a lot to deal with raising a baby on top of their studies, and it should only underscore the fact that the last thing they need is controversy--or to be drawn into some national debate about teen pregnancy. Regardless of your stance on it, you have to admit that it is not healthy for any new family to be under such scrutiny. Illigitamate children are born every day, all the disrespectful press this young family is recieving is nothing but ageist prejudice.

Let's congragulate this new couple, wish them the best of luck, and let their own words speak for themselves:

Alfie:

“I thought it would be good to have a baby. I didn’t think about how we would afford it. I don’t really get pocket money. My dad sometimes gives me £10."

"When my mum found out, I thought I was going to get in trouble. We wanted to have the baby but were worried how people would react. I didn’t know what it would be like to be a dad. I will be good, though, and care for it.”

He wanted to be the first to hold Maisie after the hospital birth. He tenderly kisses the baby and gives her a bottle.

And Dennis, 45, said: “He could have shrugged his shoulders and sat at home on his Playstation. But he has been at the hospital every day.”


Chantelle:

“I’m tired after the birth. I was nervous after going into labour but otherwise I was quite excited."

“Me and Alfie went [to the doctor]. The doctor asked me whether we had sex. I said yes and he said I should do a pregnancy test. He did the test and said I was pregnant. I started crying and didn’t know what to do.He said I should tell my mum but I was too scared. We didn’t think we would need help from our parents. You don’t really think about that when you find out you are pregnant. You just think your parents will kill you.”

Chantelle admitted she and Alfie — who are both being supported by their parents — would be accused of being grossly irresponsible. She said: “We know we made a mistake but I wouldn’t change it now. We will be good loving parents. I have started a church course and I am going to do work experience helping other young mums."

“I’ll be a great mum and Alfie will be a great dad.”

All the best to the new family.

No comments:

Post a Comment